Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Michigan Memory: George Kell Dies at 86

I don't remember George Kell, the Detroit Tiger third baseman. He played in Detroit from 1946 to 1952. I was born in Detroit in 1950. I don't remember George Kell of the Boston Red Sox where he played with Ted Williams. But I do remember well George Kell, the Detroit Tiger radio and television broadcaster.

When I was nine years old and growing up in suburban Detroit George Kell teamed up with another Detroit sports broadcasting legend of my youth, Van Patrick, on TV and radio for the Tigers. I remember him better from my earlier teen years when he worked with legendary Tiger broadcaster Ernie Harwell and then later when as an adult I listened to him work with Tiger legend Al Kaline.

These memories do not belong to me alone. I share them with generations of fans from all over Michigan. We all miss you.

George Kell died in his sleep today at his home in Swifton, Arkansas. He was 86.

No comments: